Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lanterns, Mint, & Insects...


Well today has been a mixture of good and ummm uncomfortable...and it is only lunch time!
First I woke up and had a wonderful hike to the top of Brio Hill with the puppies and Taj was so scared of a cow on the road that he ran and jumped into my arms like a little baby... sooo cute!Then when I came home I looked up into my skylight in the breezeway and saw the sun shining through the Beautiful Red Solar Lanterns my wonderful mother sent down for me! They are like a sunlit, red Chandelier blowing in the wind and it makes me happy every time I walk under them, and at night they send 6 moving rays of light into the hallway!
Then as I am cleaning out my room I shook out a towel that was in Junior's bed.... and out fell a small yet still scary Tarantula. At least I think it is a Tarantula cause it has fuzz on it and just, well, looks like one. I will post a picture because I know my brother is going to love it! He should be able to tell us all exactly the type of spider species he/she is too.... take it away Bowen!~



After that was all over and I snapped these few pictures I found this little guy... well, as far as Beetles go he is quite a biggie, but harmless. So I guess this is Nicaragua's way of telling me I officially greeted? I have seen every creepy, crawly thing possible and not just outside, but in my actual bedroom. Needless to say I do sleep with a Mosquito net.... tucked in!

When the excitement finally died down, although I know that is only temporary living in a thriving country like this one... I managed to capture a picture of my Cuidador Felix cultivating the Mint Pyramid. It has the bottom 3 layers teeming with mint and the top 2 with Culantro/Cilantro. It is his pet project of the yard and he takes good care to add bits of watered down manure to keep it fertilized and spreading. So next time you are THE SWELL BAR, you
will know that the mojito's are grown with love!

3 comments:

  1. Grown with love and fresh cow shit
    I can hardly wait
    ahh could you wash the mint a little extra please

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet ass!! your so lucky to have all the cool stuff down there... yeah it looks like a male Costa Rican Zebra Tarantula, also known as the Striped-knee Tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni). Their generally not too agressive and their bites arent bad either. Love it... thanks for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete